Online Registration closed now. But If anyone could not register on time, you can download the registration form, print it and bring it to the event on Saturday to the registration counter with your payment
Click here to download CMA KALAMELA-2022 REGISTRATION FORM.
Dr. Sibil Philip
Dr. Swarnam Chiramel
Secretary: Leela Joseph, 224-578-5262
Treasurer: Shiny Haridas, 630-290-7143
Registration fee for each participant per each single item will be $15.00, and registration fee for each group item will be $15.00 per participant. Fees should be submitted online along with the registration form. For kids Smiling Competition registration will be free, But must register.
Rules & Regulations
1. The last day of accepting duly filled Kalamela Registration forms will be April 15th, 2022 by online only.The applications received after April 15th, 2022 will not be accepted.
2. Registration fee for each participant per each single item will be $15.00, and registration fee for each group item will be $15.00 per participant. Fees should be submitted online along with the registration form. For kids Smiling Competition registration will be free, But must register. No registration fee will be refunded after April 20th 2022.
3. Competitions will be conducted in the following 4 age categories. Sub Junior: Kindergarten to Grade 4;
Junior: Grades 5-8; Senior: Grades 9-12; Masters: College & above.
4. Spelling bee competitions are limited to Grades 2 to 8, in 2 groups, Sub Junior (2-4) and Junior (5-8). The coordinator may add words in case of a shortage in the distributed words.
5. Separate forms and fees are required for group items. Multiple contestants can use one form but need separate fees for each group member. There must be at least three (3) participants in a group item .The category for a group item is decided by the age of the oldest participant. No restrictions on upper limit.
6. There will be three categories for the competitive items. Group A (Dances), Group B (Non Dances), and Special items.
7. Kalaprathiba (Male) and Kalathilakam (Female) must win at least one prize in both categories, A and B.He/She must score more points than any other contestant in single items.
8. The contestants from the Masters category will not be considered for Kalathilakam and Kalapratibha titles.
9. Points earned in group items, special items and Malayalam reading will not be considered for Kalaprathiba and Kalathilakam titles. Only in the event of a tie between 2 contestants, points earned from the group items will be considered to determine Kalaprathiba or Kalathilakam.
10. No contestant can register for more than five single items, excluding group items, special items and Malayalam Reading.
11. If an item has less than 3 participants in an age group, the points and prizes will be distributed as follows:
Grade A (Score 90-100) – 5 points, Grade B (Score 80-89) – 3 points, Grade C (70- 79) – 1 point.
12. If an item has 3 or more participants in an age group, points will be distributed as follows: 1st prize – 5 points, 2nd prize – 3 points, 3rd prize – 1 point.
13. The Kalamela Committee reserves the right to cancel any competition and/or to change the venue, time, order, rules and/or disqualify participants.
14. All complaints and suggestions should be submitted in writing to the Kalamela Organizers.
15. In determining the winners, the Judges’ decisions will be final.
16. Competitors should be the Child/Children of at least one Malayalee parent, and living in the Midwest region.
17. Film songs or light music can be used for Malayalam song competition. Karaoke is not allowed for song competition.
18. For Malayalam reading, participants should have done their entire schooling in the USA. Points earned in this item will not be considered for Kalaprathiba or Kalathilakam titles. The Malayalam reading winner will get $50 in each category based on at least 3 participants.
19. All participants should bring necessary materials needed for their competition. Paper for drawing and painting will be provided by the organizers. Participants are not allowed to use their own paper.
20. For fancy dress, only SOLO performances are allowed. Background music and commentaries are permitted.
21. The Spelling bee word list and Speech topics will be provided by April 2nd 2022 in the website of the Chicago Malayalee association. Spelling bee winners in each category will receive a $100 cash prize.
22. Topics for drawing, painting & Malayalam reading will be provided only on the spot, on the morning of the competition.
23. Three different passages will be given for the Malayalam Reading, and the contestant will be asked to read one passage chosen by the organizers/Judges just before the competition.
24. For Group Song competitions, participants may use any language and musical instruments, but no karaoke is allowed.
25. Dubsmash competition participants will use existing audio clips from Malayalam movies/popular TV shows. Judgment will be based on the quality of performance (how close to the original theme), dialogue presentation, costume, background setting and creativity with improvisations.
26. Tamil / Malayalam / Hindi film songs can be sung for ‘Film songs with Karaoke’ competition. Points earned in this item will not be considered for Kalaprathiba or Kalathilakam titles.
1. All participants should report to the assigned area 30 minutes before competition begins.
2. CD’s must be given to the competition organizers 15 minutes before the competition begins.
3. Participants should adhere to the specified time limit allotted for each item.
4. There will be 1 item for kids 5 & under. The Smiling competition evaluates the skills of the kids for smiling, speaking, memory, singing (Nursery Rhymes), and general knowledge.
5. Male participants (Sub-Juniors, Juniors, Seniors) who score maximum points in single items will be judged as Kalaprathibha.
6. Female participants (Sub-Juniors, Juniors, Seniors) who score maximum points in single items will be judged as Kalathilakam.
7. Participants who score maximum points in single items in Sub-Junior, Junior, & Senior categories get the Rising Star title.
8. For Western Dance, no Indian songs are allowed.
9. A participant cannot contest in more than one group in a single category.
10. Maximum Time limits for the competitions are as follows
Bharatanatyam : 10 Minute
Mohiniyattam : 10 Minute
Folk Dance : 7 Minute
Cinematic Dance : 7 Minute
Western dance : 5 Minute
Malayalam Song : 5 Minute
Light Music English : 5 Minute
Fancy Dress : 5 Minute
Classical Song : 10 Minute
Group Song : 10 Minute
Instrumental Music : 5 Minute
Elocution Malayalam : 5 Minute
Elocution English : 5 Minute
Malayalam Reading : 5 Minute
Dubsmash : 3 Minute
Special Item Category:
Film Song with Karaoke : 5 Minute
Duet dance : (as per dance category)
Chenda (Adults) : 10 Minute